Microsoft is all set to change the way you use animation effects in PowerPoint slides. Everything in 2010 slide show (text, shapes, animations, and more) is rendered in full 3D using your machine’s graphics card. This was announced by Microsoft PowerPoint team on their blog.
PowerPoint's graphics engine is completely rebuilt using DirectX and will offer:
· Fully hardware-accelerated rendering engine
· New transition effects and an updated user interface
· Revamped animation effects and a brand new UI (timelines!)
· Animation Painter (copy your animations between objects)
· Choreograph animations with multimedia
Here is one video showing 3D capabilities of PowerPoint 2010